Thursday, July 3, 2008

Lee Elia was right...

Cubs fans are the worst. The other day, I was driving with Buddy George (whom, I should say, I love like a brother however vehemently I disagree with his baseball analysis) and it was the day Dempster gave up 8 runs. I said, "everyone's gonna have a bad inning now and again," and I could tell Geo was about to launch into a "Dumpster" tirade. He had that John Belushi raised eyebrow expression and said, "Well..."

I had to remind him that Dempster had the best record on our team - that he was undefeated at home. George also thinks Wood is washed up. Unfortunately, George is not alone. There's this "what have you done for me lately" attitude that most Cub fans have. They are not particularly aware of how well (or otherwise) a player is doing - I think the players are more like characters on a TV show to them.

I just watched Wood shut 'em down again tonight with sick, sick stuff to get his 21st save of the season. He's not leading the league, but as a team at the front of the standings, you hope you end games leading by enough that a save opportunity never comes up. The best teams in baseball rarely have the saves leader on their squad. As for Dempster, he pitched well enough to get his first road win, but the 'pen blew it for him.

So, fellow Cubs fans, talk your silly talk amongst yourselves, but please don't let fans of other teams hear to doing it. Save us all the embarrassment.

2 comments:

Chris B. said...

The thing I keep thinking of is if the Cubs are down to the last few outs to win a playoff series or the world series itself, can you imagine Kerry Wood shitting his pants? I can't. I imagine his arm would come off at the joint and fly past the batter at 94-95 MPH to get the job done. He, not unlike Jim Edmonds, was a bargain during the off season and still has the potential upside of being a superstar this year.

bigsoda said...

Of course, tonight I'm thinking, "what the fuck have you done for me lately, Cubs!" I suck.