Friday, October 24, 2008

Under the Radar

This is not a Grossman vs. Orton post. It's not even a "Turner sucks" post. It's actually complementary. I have noticed that most snaps this year have resulted in 3+ seconds of time for Orton to operate. The big draft pick hasn't even gotten into the game yet, and the o-line has improved a LOT in the past year.

I would still contend that Grossman could be effective in this improved system, but I'm over it. The offensive line provided protection, Forte provides a competent running game, and the receivers (aside from some back-breaking drops) are doing a better job than I expected. I've always argued that the QB position only needs to be mechanically sound. If the rest of the offense is sound, we don't need a superhero.

We do need a defense. The same issues that plagued the offense last year (weak front line, lack of aggression) is now passed to the defense. All these guys got paid in the off-season, and I expected more. 41 points is unacceptable. If the defense pulls itself together somehow and Orton continues to improve, I think we can take the North at least.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vikings might have put up 60 if it weren't for those Bear TDs on special teams and 4 INTs.

Someone identifying himself as "Prarie Dog" crapped my man Chet Coppock on the Score yesterday. Well-deserved.

Meat Head said...

I still think that Grossman is a bust. Not becuase of time in the pocket. It's because didn't learn the plays and didn't know where the blocking was.

No O line on the planet can give a QB time if he dosen't know where the protection is.

There is a reason the O line and QBs share the sack stats. Some times it's the O lines fault and some times it's the QBs fault.

If the QB is to stupid to learn how to minimize that then he deserves to get fucking pasted.

The real test for Grossman will be the off season. If he is dumb as box of rocks his career is over. If not then I wish him well.

I think he is a fucking moron douche bag. But I have been wrong and will be again.

Anonymous said...

If I was Grossmann I wouldn't know where the protection was, either, because there was none. Zip. Zero.

By the way not only was Benson useless as a back but as a blocker, too. Two years ago, even in the few games he played well, they used to bring in Thomas Jones to pass block. Last year, they didn't have that luxury. No running game, poor blocking--what do you think defenses will do?

(& twas not I who crapped Coppock!)

Chris B. said...

Speaking of Benson - and this won't surprise any Bears fans - HE STILL SUCKS.