Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Liar's NFL Week 15 Picks

Fucking gotta love those Bears. They're gonna fucking kill me, but holy shit, what a game. After Thursday, the rest of this week is gravy.
Let's ladle it on.

Last Week's Picks: 11/5
Season Record: 130/77/1

Thursday Night Game:
Bears (7-6) over Saints (7-6)
The one thing that struck me recently is that I suddenly realized that I haven't enjoyed watching Bears games since week 3 of this season when they lost the lead within the 2 minute-warning to lose their second game in a row. Every game since then has had an ominous cloud hanging over the field.
I remember a few years ago (in the first Orton era) when if the Bears were behind by 14 going into the 4th quarter, I was hopeful. Now if they have a lead of 14 going into the 4th, I feel apprehensive. Hell, last fucking week I was convinced that were were going to give up a 17 point lead in the final quarter. It never happened, but I don't think that I'm the only PTSD Bears fan out there.
Chicago really needs to win out to give the franchise its swagger back - It either starts here, or ends here. Period. End.

Early Sunday Games:
Falcons (8-5) over Buccaneers (9-4)
Tampa got hit hard last week at Carolina. It wasn't a knock-out, but it will take them a couple of weeks to get back on their feet. I like Atlanta's chances against the punch-drunk pirates.

Redskins (7-6) over Bengals (1-11-1)
My Skins really need a win here, and will get it if they can stop the explosive running power of Cedric Benson (who, with a good game here, might actually finish this season with positive running yardage). Also, look for Ocho Cinco to try and sneak over to the Skins bench during the game. He's hoping that nobody will notice if he suits up in burgundy and gold for the second half.
Postgame: Welcome to the offseason, you bums.

Seahawks (2-11) over Rams (2-11)
Nofuckingbody wants to watch this turd-fest. Even the St. Louis FOX affiliate switched over to the Falcons -vs- Bucs game. Really - Here's the distribution MAP.

Dolphins (8-5) over 49ers (5-8)
After last week's HUGE upset of the Jets, it looks like Samurai Mike is gonna hold on to his coaching job in the offseason. If he can finagle another win here, that position will be guaranteed.

Jets (8-5) over Bills (6-7)
Those damned Bills. It looked like they were gonna be a contender this year, and then the wheels fell right the fuck off of the organization. The Jets really need a win here to end their 2 game slide and rack up another divisional win. New York can't afford to lose this one, I see 'em pulling a win on the home-front.

Colts (9-4) over Lions (0-14)
How excited is everybody at the prospect of the Lions going 0 & 16? I'm fucking jazzed. Here's their last 3: at Indy, vs. New Orleans, & at Green Bay. It's gonna happen, people!

Chargers (5-8) over Chiefs (2-11)
Back in week 10, I promised that I would pick Kansas Shitty in this game - I totally lied.

Packers (5-8) over Jaguars (4-9)
I'm tempted to pick the Jags at home in this march of the damned, but they looked so terrible against the Bears that I'm giving Green Bay the benefit of the doubt.

Titans (12-1) over Texans (6-7)
The Texicans are en fuego right now. I'd love to pick 'em to upset, but the Titans have to maintain a strong front going into the playoffs.

Late Sunday Games:
Cardinals (8-5) over Vikings (8-5)
I never thought I'd be excited about sitting down to watch a Vikes/Cards game, but here we are. I'm gonna be glued-down for this one. Go Arizona!

Panthers (10-3) over Broncos (8-5)
When is the AFC West going to go away and stop wasting our time? Dealing with these sucks week in and week out is like being stuck next to a bum at the bus stop. He keeps talking to you, begging for money, and not making one lick of sense, but there's really nothing you can do but wait and weather the storm until the bus comes or he gives up and wanders off to defecate behind the 7-11 dumpster.

Ravens (9-4) over Steelers (10-3)
Man, this is gonna be one hell of a game. I'm hoping that the Cards throw down a blow-out on the Vikes so that I can switch to this game at half-time. This one is gonna be brutal. I like the Purple Birds at home, but just barely.

Patriots (8-5) over Raiders (3-10)
Here's another fucking AFC West team wasting our time (and New England's).

Sunday Night Game:
Giants (11-2) over Cowboys (8-5)
Terrell Owens gets a bad rap for being a "me first" player, and he's gotten slammed in the press for his new feud with Saint Romo. Say what you want, but I think that in the video clip (below) he makes an articulate, well thought out arguement for getting more passes in the upcoming weeks.
Here it is, Terrell Owens in his own words:

Monday Night Game:
Eagles (7-5-1) over Browns (4-9)
Lets face it, Philly isn't getting into the playoffs this year (that tie really did hurt 'em), but they're playing with a ferocity. I feel bad for anyone coming up against them for the rest of this season.
---

Wrong picks in RED
Correct Picks in GREEN

12 comments:

bigsoda said...

I'm with you about that "not-so-fresh" feeling you've had watching this team. I figured it was just a pessimism hangover from the baseball season, but now I realize that it's:

a) this team has been teetering on the brink of suckdom all year, and

b) I haven't made it over to drink Bookers on a Sunday afternoon, yet. Not many chances left...

edP said...

You guys drink at a place called Bookers?!?!?

edP said...

oh, I'm an idiot, I re-read bigsoda's comments. You drink Bookers @ somebody's place which might as well be called Bookers.

edP said...

BEARS!...he says with some trepidation

edP said...

BEARS!

Meat Head said...

Da Bears! Great game... I had to go outside of my normal stomping grounds to watch this game.

Ended up finding an all Bears bar by accident! They tailgate on Sundays before the game in the bar parking lot, in NC they don't sell beer until noon on sundays.

I was kind of nice to have a bar of 100 people in Bears jerseys, do defense chants from one side of the bar to the other.

To top it off the whole bar signs the Bears fighs song after each score!

Frickin awsome!

edP said...

re: the Lions and history...if it wasn't happening next Sunday the boy and I were going to try and go to Ford field to see the game vs. the Saints

edP said...

I'm geeked up for Cards and Vikes too

edP said...

Stupid fucking Vikings!

Chris B. said...

Fucking Vikings.

Also, the dog and pony show after the Cowboys game was sickening. Why does Witten have to show up for that schlock? All he does is play good football.

DC Liar said...

Kink in our plans - The Bears Packers game is Monday Night (8:30PM).

Any takers?

Chris B. said...

I'm up for it if I don't have to go into the city for it. Too risky.