Monday, December 1, 2008

Who Else Can I Root For?

If it was at least a close game last night I wouldn't be thinking this stuff, but what's the point of hoping for a playoff berth? This is NOT a superbowl team. I am convinced now more than ever that the coaches suck. I am also convinced that we should have dealt Devin Hester after last season, although I understand why we didn't.

I remember back in the 2005 season that I wasn't totally convinced by the Bears. This was the "bend but don't break" defense that worked properly and a functional running game with Thomas Jones. More importantly, however, was the feeling by everyone in the organization that they were better than mediocre. Getting to the superbowl proved that, but that's where they stalled out.

Since then, they have sucked. So, here's my quick assessment of a number of individuals:

1. Lovie Smith - people say he's more animated away from the media. I don't buy it. Also, on the field of play, he appears to make bad decisions. I'm not sold on him as the long-term coach of the Bears - especially with the current roster.

2. Bob Babich - haven't seen one good thing since he's been at the helm, and his superstars are healthy again. Time to make a switch.

3. Ron Turner - have never been a fan, the four-down stall on the goal line last night (at MN) just proved that he doesn't understand the strengths and weaknesses of his own offense, and it's not like he just got here. Time to make a switch.

4. Brian Urlacher - needs to be heard or something. Not sure why he appears to have been a baby for the past few years, but he only has flashes of greatness in that time. He's here, so get a coordinator that will feature him.

5. Lance Briggs - a guy I bagged when he held out as not being worth it while we still have Urlacher. I was 100% wrong. Of all the guys that got paid, he's still hitting dudes like he has something to prove.

6. Mike Brown - great player when he's healthy, although he seems older this year.

7. Nate Vasher - where did "the Interceptor" disappear to? This guy kind of sucks.

8. Charles Tillman - still a great corner, but I think he's the barometer for the entire defense. And his play and facial expressions are exaspirated.

9. Matt Forte - I feel sorry for him because he's one of the few players on the field that doesn't seem to care about extracurriculars. He just wants to play the game. The fact that he didn't hold out for more money kind of proves it. Reminds me of a young Brian Urlacher.

10. Kyle Orton - take that, Rex bashers! He's not that good, either. Or maybe it has nothing to do with the QB at all. Maybe the coordinator, offensive line, and receivers also play into the equation. He's definitely made strides this year, but it all went out the window last night.

11. Devin Hester - it's too late now, he's part of the team and he's getting paid. Abysmal numbers this year.

12. Adrian Peterson - why did we get Kevin Jones? He wasn't that good in Detroit, and our AP fights harder for yards.

13. Greg Olsen - I had such high hopes here, but is he just another Jeremy Shockey? (The Giants won the superbowl with Shockey on the sidelines.)

I think that's it. So, where do we go from here?

New coaches - I say we put the full-court press on a Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer. The premier name would hopefully garner some control and create a more solid, long-term success. Let them bring in coordinators of their choosing. Lovie seems to have lost this team, and I do not want to sit through more attrition, just waiting for contracts to end.

New receivers - in the short term, I have given up on our current group. Lloyd looked like he could break out early in the year, but he has a glass jaw, apparently. Forte is the only sure thing receiver (maybe Des Clark) and that is just sad.

New QB - I don't care if we keep Orton, but maybe the McNabb era can get started. I don't think he's done winning, and there's a shortage in the league. Let McNabb and Orton battle it out in the pre-season.

Defense - I would hope that good recruiting would injury-proof some of these positions and a new coordinator would light a fire under the current starters. Make Urlacher work a little.

That's a lot to do in a year.

3 comments:

P-Dizzle said...

Shit, I just lost a big post! OK, I'll try again.

Urlacher's done, so it won't matter if you feature him or what. Unless he's been missing tackles on purpose, stick in the proverbial fork. I guess we'll have to watch him until he really gets hurt, but if ever there was someone to trade...

And yes they probably should have dealt Hester too but I don't know nothing about the business part. I do know they've made some damn good decisions over the recent years.

This defense has been carrying the team for the decade, and it's caught up to them ironically when they finally have an offense that can stay on the field and make a few first downs. But the defense is so beat up, it's not entirely fair to blame Babitch.

I feel the opposite as you on the cornerbacks: Tillman (who is a great guy, and I agree, hard hitter) took a while to prove himself, had a really good couple years, and is back to letting people catch passes all over him again. Vasher has been hurt, but up until this year played consistently high quality football. Briggs and Brown still have the fire.

I'm not so down on Olsen, but forget Turner--I have no idea what this offenses strengths and weaknesses are.

This roster has made for the best Bears memories since Da Bearss but they are at the point where they are outliving fans' affections (well, at least this one). So I say Blow it up! Blow it up good!!

DC Liar said...

Note to self: Never disappoint Chris B (or tha P-Dawg).

Chris B. said...

I want a motherfucking DYNASTY. The only Chicago dynasty was the Jordan-era Bulls. That's it. How can that be?