Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Why I Hate Rex Fucking Grossman

Soldier Field, Chicago - December 18th, 2005:

Gundy and I are about to succumb to hypothermia. We're up at the very top of the bowl facing the lake, the only thing behind us is Lake Shore Drive. It's -7 degrees and there's 27 minutes and 55 seconds left on the clock. Out comes Grossman to replace the floundering Orton.

Gundy: "Hey, they're bringing out Grossman."
Me: "I totally can't feel my fingers."

Nine plays later: Grossman throws an interception at the 1 yard line on 3rd down. The Falcon who got the pick fumbles it, and Gage recovers it on the one. The next play, Jones runs it in for a TD.

Me: "That was the ugliest TD series I've ever seen. I think I miss Orton already"
Gundy: "Cold... so cold."

The Bears go on to win 16 to 3. Bears score 6 points in the first half (enough to win it), and 10 in the second half.
About 2 hours later Gundy and I regain feeling in our extremities after 4 shots of whiskey at the bar.

Flashback: Here's the LINK for an old L&E post I moblieblogged from the game. Bonus: PDawg Getting all gay on Grossie in the comment field.

The next game Grossie throws one TD and one interception, but it's enough to beat the Packers.

The final game of the season, they start Orton, but he can't do anything. The hibernating-til-the-playoffs Bears fall to the Vikes.

In the first game of the playoffs Rex shits the bed. In the fourth quarter, Thomas Jones runs the field (almost single-handedly) for a scoring drive on the first possession. On the next possession Rex throws 3 straight incompletions for a three-and-out. The following possession he throws a pick at the Carolina 21. The final possession he drives 25 measly yards and turns the ball over on downs with yet another incompletion.

Bears lose 21 to 29 - I blame Grossman.

Me: "I fucking hate that guy. If I ever see him, I'm gonna spit in his eye."
The Girl "..."

-End of Season-

In 2006 I was cautiously guarded. I was still holding a grudge, but Grossie looked like he was coming around. He wasn't.

Then we all got to watch him flush away the Super Bowl dreams of Chicago (RECAP). Dead to me.

Me: "I fucking hate that guy. If I ever see him, I'm gonna disembowel him with a lemon-zester."
The Girl: "..."

-End of Season-

This year, I'd rather have Micheal Vick signed as our QB than Rex. I thought we were rid of him for good, and then he popped back up like a bad 80's movie monster. If the fucking Bears re-sign him in the offseason, I'm gonna go out and invest in a Packers jersey for the tenure of his stay in Chicago.

...and that's why I hate Rex Grossman.

The End

3 comments:

Chris B. said...

But all those reasons don't account for the good plays he's made, the drives he's delivered to win games, and the 24 points he put up in that first playoff game (because Orton was useless). I thought he played really well considering how much was weighing on that game and him for his first time at the wheel in a long time. I was excited for the 2006 season as a result. Remember - Steve Smith killed the defense and that was the real story for that game.

Last year, he hung in there with Manning and Brady for five or six games. I'd contend that the point where "bad Rex" came in was the exact point our fucking fucking offensive line got old. He looked pretty good in the NFC championship game, too.

Last night, he showed some flashes of brilliance again. Sure, he threw some above the receivers (but they could have been caught) and he had one turnover. Beyond that, he threw a couple of phenomenal corner TD passes - total touch passes. He's a good quarterback.

I noticed watching the NFL Replay this evening that the pass plays where they connected, St. Clair is in the game and Peterson is an extra (outstanding) blocker, so there's time. Grossman throws strikes in that situation.

Again, I understand your hate, but who is better that we could get? (And forget this Methuselah shit. Benson was good running in college - this is the big leagues.)

Chris B. said...

One more thing - invest in a Packer jersey and you'll have a whole new Grossman to hate. Favre and Grossman are the same guy separated by 15 years and a giant bowl of Vicatin.

Chris B. said...

And Favre won't die.