Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hockey Fever - Contract It!

Ah, It's that time of year. The snow is finally gone, flowers are popping up everywhere, the Cubs still haven't have broken my heart, and I finally can give a shit about the NHL.

Yup, Tonight marks the beginning of the race for the Stanley Cup. Since 99.999% of the population cares even less about the NHL than I do, here's my rooting guide for the 2008 NHL playoffs:

Montreal Canadians -vs- Boston Bruins
Oh, boy! This is gonna be a series to watch. These two teams fucking HATE each other. I'd like to pick the Bruins out of sentimentality, but they are way outgunned by Montreal.

Washington Capitals -vs- Philadelphia Flyers
I can't decide if I like Ovechkin more than I hate (Caps owner) Leonsis. It's a tough one. The Capitals are the better team, but I'm going with Philly as a "fuck you" to AOL Boy.

Detroit Red Wings -vs- Nashville Predators
Normally I'd be all over a chance to piss on the Red Wings, but my hatred for Nashville is even greater. This November the city of Nashville finally killed the move of the Predators to Ontario (which I saw as one of the first steps in reforming the sorry state of the NHL). So now another city that has zero business in having a NHL franchise keeps on dragging down the sport, and I have to throw out a pick for the Maxi-Pad brigade.

Minnesota Wild -vs- Colorado Avalanche
I'm still pissed at Minnesota for letting the Northstars escape to Dallas (see below). I'm holding that grudge to this day, and picking the ex-Nordiques (Colorado) to pull the upset in this series.

Pittsburgh Penguins -vs- Ottawa Senators
Hey, It's a re-match from last year's playoffs. In 2007 the Senators looked invincible - Right now they're practically invisible. I'm going with the Flightless Sea Birds.

New Jersey Devils -vs- New York Rangers
I'm still crestfallen that Jersey didn't pick up Ε atan as their left winger after he left Buffalo. Still, I'm not gonna hold that against 'em. I like the Devils. (insert Ronnie James Dio scream here)

San Jose Sharks -vs- Calgary Flames
Flames! No question. Next!

Anaheim Ducks -vs- Dallas Stars
Oh, great. My two most hated teams in the pantheon of sports.
I have to chose one? Really?
I'm picking the lesser of 2 evils with the Stars, but hoping for a terrorist bombing.

Keep in mind this is my ROOTING guide. I've given up on picking winners after the fucking Mighty Ducks won it last year.
Cocksuckers.
Remember, it doesn't matter who wins - All that matters is who loses (namely Aneheim, Dallas, San Jose, & Nashville).

1 comment:

Meat Head said...

Snow whats snow? It is going to be 85 here today and the trees have almost all there leaves. Very green and the flowers are all in bloom.

I think I will call it a half day Friday and go lay out by the pool.

Man do I love the lackadaisical ways of the south. Not even my manager came in today. Just sent an email telling us it's to nice out and suggested we get some time on a golf course.

I think I prefer some cool pool water, ice cold beer and masters on TV.

Later fools

Go Cubs!