Friday, January 8, 2010

The Liar's NFL Wild-Card Weekend Playoff Picks

This looks familiar.
Three of the four wild-card games feature teams that played each other last week. Trippy, it's like the NFL just went all Groundhog Day. If three or more games are the same next week, then we definitely have some serious issues with the spacetime continuum.
Assuming that is the case, I'm preemptively stocking up on tinfoil hats and looking into investing in some sweet 4th dimension Möbius box-seats for the Super Bowl (which I'm guessing will be Cowboys -vs- Eagles for the 5th straight week).

Last Week's Picks: 9/7
Season Record: 165/93

Saturday Afternoon Game:
Bengals* (10-6) over Jets (9-7)
If you listen to Rex Ryan, the Jets have a Superbowl victory all wrapped up. Then again, if you listened to Ryan two weeks ago, he said that the Jets' season was over. I fucking love this guy, he's just as drunk as I am! WOOOOOOOOO!
Yeah, I know that the Jets put up a 37-0 beatdown on the Bengals last week. I even think that Cincy was playing to win in the first half, but as the game went on I think that the Bengals folded early and decided to save all of their fancified trickification for this week, all the while getting some great film of the Jets cards. I'd love to see way more of Rex Ryan in the postseason, but I think that Cincy is going to spring the trap back on their home-turf.

Saturday Night Game:
Cowboys* (11-5) over Eagles (11-5)
Man, the story-lines behind this game are insane - Romo has never won a playoff game, McNabb has never lost a first-round playoff game, Wade Phillips' job is on the line (yet again), The Eagles haven't won a game against the Boys this season, and to top it all off these teams HATE each other. I'm supergluing myself to the couch for this one.
I know that every playoff game Romo pulls a Romo to kill the game at the last minute, I know that Reid and McNabb are playoff tested, I know that this game could go either way on a whim, but I really think that the Cowboys are the superior team this season and have more than what it takes to shut down Philly down in the Jerry Dome.

Early Sunday Game:
Patriots* (10-6) over Ravens (9-7)
Here's the only game that doesn't fit the Groundhog Day analogy (although they did meet back in week 4), so throughout the game I'm going to pretend that Belichick is the Bill Murray character and that Harbaugh is the Andie MacDowell character. I say they totally hook-up by the end.
My favorite thing about the Partiots going into the playoffs is how their super-secret injury reports suddenly go all too public. Welker is out, that's for sure, but Brady's shoulder and Moss' limp are pure kabuki theater. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hoodie wheeled out the O-line out in iron lungs before the game. You gotta love that.

Late Sunday Game:
Packers (11-5) over Cardinals* (10-6)
I didn't want to watch this game last week, what makes you think that...
Shoveling snow, huh?
Okay, you win. Fuck it.
Last year I bet against the Cards all the way through the playoffs and got schooled. Apparently, I haven't learned my lesson. How can I have any faith in what easily is the most erratic team of the past couple of seasons? According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, in any given game the Arizona Cardinals have both WON and LOST the game until the game is observed. Which is problematic, as no one wishes to observe such things. Logical positivism, FTW!
---

Wrong Picks in RED
Correct Picks in GREEN
*Indicates Home Team

2 comments:

LDUTheCoach said...

TheCoach has the Bengals, who watched the Jets dig their own grave
last week.. you can't show a team your entire play book and expect to
beat them the next week.

On the other hand the Eagles are way better than they played last
week and too good of a team to be shut out two weeks in a row (not
that you said they would be) but it will be a close battle .. much
closer than last week but Dallas takes the game... gotta agree on
that one

The loss of Wes Welker is way to much for Tom Brady and the Pats
offence.. Baltimore will feast on Brady who has broken ribs and
Edelman is good but the connection Brady and Welker have is evident
... about the only thing they dont do is sleep together...

Green Bay will dominate. the Cards are
back in the playoffs because of theyre weak division but havn't
impressed me this week

For full in depth analysis and in sight, visit
http://www.lionsdenu.com/category/sports/nfl-guide-2009-2010/
(cheerleader pictures included)

Great work Goldberg, one of us will dominate this week as Green Bay, I don't believe in Sanchez on the road in CIncy (it will be crazy, other than 2006, the last time they hosted a playoff game was 1990)... Cincy in a close one in the cold weather!

Best of luck!
Cheers,
TheCoach

Chris B. said...

"... about the only thing they dont do is sleep together..."

You don't know that for sure.

Also, the only interesting game all weekend was the Cards/Packers (if you're not big on defense), and I went into it thinking the Pack was going to crush them again. Reminds me of the Bears defense in '04. Stellar season, miserable one-and-out vs. Steve Smith in the playoffs.