Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Meet the Mets

Thank you NY Mets for getting YoHo Santana the fuck out of the American League Central. That could translate into five more wins for our beloved White SOX.

In that division ya take wins wherever you can get them.

Not you as in you or me (whoever you are)...we aren't going to win anything.

I don't know what the acquisition of Santana does for the Mets' chances to win it all. I'd say if the cubs got him they'd be guaranteed to win their division (although things already look good on that front for the north side club)...

Devin will say that I know nothing about baseball, but now that Santana's traded the Twinkies are going to trade Joe Nathan next. If I were generally managing the cubs I'd think about packaging Carlos Marmol (sp? Jeanz, Z? Lou? anybody) and somebody else in a deal for the Twins lights out closer.

True, the cubs do not win their division in 07 without Carlos M out of the bullpen, but is he ready or can he ever be a closer?

Kerry Wood closing? Can cubs fans really depend on his rattley shoulder to go out and throw every day? Bob Howry? He's a great set up man, but when was the last time he closed games on a regular basis?

cubs fans think I suck and that's fine, but I know a world class closer when I see one and Joe Nathan (with one exception in the last two years) has been lights out in the 9th inning.

Who wouldn't want that?

6 comments:

santipissed said...

I like the idea of Nathan being a Cub. I've thought about it for a couple of weeks. I'm lame.
The one thing is that Marmol is off limits (That's what stopped the Bedard deal).
We have plenty of youngsters to deal for Nathan-especially if the Roberts deal never gets done.

Are you saying whomever pitches against the socks named Santana and in a twin uniform that the socks win?

edP said...

Is Marmol really, really, really going to be a closer or even a great set up man, or did we see the best of Marmol in August? Near the end of last year, and in his limited playoff experience...CM seemed to fall in love with his curve at all the wrong times and throw a few fastballs that led to tape measure home runs

santipissed said...

Those home runs I give to being young and Jason Kendall.
Marmol has the stuff-his slider-when it works-is mlb closer material. Not to to say I don't want Nathan in a Cubbie uniform.
We have Sean Gallagher (everybody thinks this guy is the shit)

edP said...

I am happy that Marmol has resuscitated his career and pitched well last year.

I'm just saying that if this year is going to be the year for the cubs Nathan is a better choice than the current late innings staff better known as Question Mark and the Mysterians.

I know the cubs would have reservations trading with the Twins for bullpen help after the LaToya/Stephen W./I've Got Too Many Nicknames that Don't Fit Hawkins...but that's different. They miscast LaTroy as closer when what he was best at was 8th inning set up guy.

Joe Nathan is a lights out closer.

By the way, nice dig @ Jason Kendall. Do you think that horrible leg break a few years back somehow affected his brain?

santipissed said...

I agree we need a lights out closer, but have never said any year is the cubs year. The twins got a lot of good young players for Santana and they will demand the same thing for Nathan. Also, Nathan is supposed to be looking for almost 15 mil a season when he becomes a free agent-that's a lot for a closer. Would MLB allow the trade? With the team not being sold some deals have been struck down by Selig. He claims that he does not want the new owner to incur new debt that is not on the books already. Completely lame reasoning considering that his family still has close ties to the Brewers. Like the cubs are in debt...they are worth a billion dollars and only 15% of that is spent on payroll. Any other industry would love to have that kind of payroll %.
Anyway, is Crede headed to the Giants?

edP said...

I love Joe Crede. I has been very sad preparing the boy for the fact that his favorite player will be gone after this season...and if Joe Crede looks even serviceable in spring training - he will be shipped. I am not sure he will go to the Giants...I still have some bullshit fantasy trades in my head that involve getting a Chone Figgins or a Coco Crisp...but Crede doesn't seem to work in either scenario...

Although Lowell is getting older the Red Sox might want some insurance along with some bullpen help...

Tht's probably not going to happen.

If Crede can play, Kenny will trade him for soup if need be. He said Crede & Fields will not be on the same team opening day an they are not trading Josh Fields