Thursday, December 6, 2007

From Superbowl Runners-Up to Super-Size Pieces of Shit...

Wow... I don't even know where to begin. There are so many things wrong with the Decatur Staleys, it's hard to say which one they need to address first in the off-season. The most frustrating thing is that the team's talent seems to be less than the sum of the talent of its constituent parts. You can point to injury or off-season moves that may be at the root of the rapid decline, but the truth is that the most glaring issues tonight were lack of discipline - and shitty strategy on both sides of the ball. I place 97% of the blame on the coaching staff.

On the plus side, I thought the little guy from NIU acquitted himself quite well tonight. He had a couple of nice skill plays, but what impressed me was the way he was picking up blocks in the backfield. Now, if the O-Line could pick up blocks as well...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one wasn't coaching. Just about every defensive leader is out or playing hurt. Urlacher is getting owned, Tommie Harris is a shadow of his former self, no penetration. No Vasher, Brown keeping the skies safe. Ogunleye and Tillman can't do it themselves. The offensive line isold and beat to shit, trying to get it up for a Thursday night game on three days' "rest." They've definitely had it.

It's all about next year now.

tom o said...

how many false starts and delay of game penalties can a "pro" football team make? my high school freshman b-team squad looked better.

by the way, i was defensive tackle. midway through the season i ran an interception back 50 yards for a touchdown. next game went out in a blaze of glory with a knee injury and never played again. the b-team was never the same.

bigsoda said...

Hunh... I was a receiver. Used to be fast back in the day. But, our coaches were such phenomenal dicks that I quit the team my freshman year. I played through all the double practices right up until the week before the season began, then I turned my pads in. I went on to be ranked in state in the gayest of all sporting events, the triple jump.

Chris B. said...

I was a soccer midfielder. Isn't that gayer?

Re: Bears - 2007 draft - 2 offensive tackles were taken in the top five picks. The Browns got Brady Quinn and padded that pick by getting a first round OT as well.

We need an offensive line and a new Mike Brown. If Mike Brown can actually play next year (not holding my breath) we can move the new guy over and have a double threat at safety.

I feel like it's too soon to blame Babich although I don't like the whole sitting in the sky box thing. Both coordinators should be on the field with the players.